Do you see great opportunity in the current publishing environment? Are you thinking of new ways to edit and produce books? Scribe is looking for disciplined, creative people who want to develop the next approach to book publishing. We offer extensive training, a casual work environment, and the opportunity to be part of the future of publishing.
Editorial Assistant (Entry Level)
Locations and Compensation
- Philadelphia, PA
- Dania Beach, FL
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $26,000/year, plus 401(k) and free health insurance
Scribe Inc., a multipurpose publishing company, is currently seeking Editorial Assistants for our Fort Lauderdale, Florida, and Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, offices. If you are excited by the process of book publishing, the position offers an excellent entry point and learning environment where you can develop skills and advance to several positions, including editorial, production, and project management roles.
We require a keen interest in the technologies driving print and digital publishing. In addition, you must be able to follow style manuals. The ability to use computers efficiently and the desire to develop technical skills are critical.
Initially, new employees will learn the foundational elements of modern publishing: data conversion, e-book development, and XML tagging. We provide training in multipurpose publishing (electronic and print) procedures, the proper use of our technologies, editorial procedures, and project management.
Compensation will increase as your editorial skills advance and as you gain greater responsibilities in project management, print production, and e-book development.
- Data conversion
- Composition (applying structure to manuscripts and books)
- E-book production
- Editorial tasks (copyediting, proofreading)
- XML development
Training will be provided for all of the above.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent communication and time management skills
- A focused, highly organized, and independent personality
- Clear and specific interest in book publishing
- A desire to learn new skills and enhance current ones
- Familiarity with Chicago Manual of Style and/or other style guides (APA, MLA)
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word, especially the editorial tools (Track Changes, Comment feature)
- Thorough mastery of the English language (grammar, syntax, vocabulary)
- Solid computer skills
- Knowledge of HTML
- Preference for candidates with an expertise in the Spanish language (grammar, syntax, vocabulary)
Please send a cover letter and résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org. Any application received without a cover letter will not be read.
Hiring is ongoing, and applications are welcome at any time.