Default Style Galleries
The SAI now comes with a selection of preset style galleries to help you compose Word documents.
Load Default Gallery: Allows you to load one of the preset style galleries created by Scribe.
New Options for Creating or Managing Style Galleries
- Add styles to a gallery by typing or copying style names in a comma-separated list above the style selection boxes and clicking Add Styles.
- To import styles from a preset gallery, choose the gallery in the dropdown box, then click the “»” button.
- Arrange the styles in any order or choose to alphabetize your list.
Style Gallery Options
Style galleries now have several new options to expedite the composition process.
Autoselect Next Para. Group: If this option is selected, clicking on a paragraph style in a style gallery will cause the cursor in Microsoft Word to advance to the next group of similarly formatted paragraphs. The autoselector looks at paragraph attributes such as spacing above and below a paragraph, left and right paragraph margins, first-line indents, and alignment to determine what constitutes a group of paragraphs. If additional “skip” suboptions are selected, the autoselector will skip over certain types of paragraphs to allow for composition of targeted elements only.
- Skip ScML Paragraph: If this option is selected, the autoselector will skip paragraphs that are already composed with ScML styles.
- Skip Likely <p> Paragraph: If this option is selected, the autoselector will skip paragraphs that are likely to end up as <p> body paragraphs based on the paragraph formatting. Remaining paragraphs can usually be converted to <p> paragraphs by the Refiner at the end of composition once all non-<p> paragraph types have been composed.
- Skip to Paragraphs with Local Formatting: Skips to paragraphs that have local paragraph formatting applied. Use this when vetting a file before style mapping to identify any paragraph styles that need to be composed by hand.
- Skip Button: If any of the autoselect features are selected, clicking Skip will automatically move the selector to the next acceptable paragraph group without applying styles.
Note: In Word 2011 (Mac) version, these options are set globally for all galleries. The options can be accessed through the “Style Gallery Options” button. On other versions of Word, these options are set on a per-gallery basis.
Style Shortcut Dropdown Menu: Styles in the style gallery have a dropdown menu to perform a selection of actions:
- Set shortcut: Assign a keyboard shortcut to the style. (Note: These shortcuts do not work with the autoselect options. For an alternative that works with autoselect, see Key Accelerators.)
- Find style: Opens up a Find and Replace window with this style in the find format field. (On Word Mac 2016, manually open the Find and Replace window after using this, and the formatting field will be populated.) Also available as a context menu item, where it loads the style at the cursor to the format field.
- Replace w/ style: Opens up a Find and Replace window with this style in the replace format field. (On Word Mac 2016, manually open the Find and Replace window after using this, and the formatting field will be populated.) Also available as a context menu item, where it loads the style at the cursor to the format field.
Key Accelerators: The first ten styles in a style gallery are assigned a key accelerator. With the style gallery in focus, press Alt and the underlined number to apply the style. If autoselect options are selected, the autoselector will choose the next group of paragraphs as though the button were pressed. (Function not present in Word 2011 [Mac] at this time).
New and Updated Cleanup Options
The Cleanup menu has been redesigned. A few tools have been modified or added.
New Cleanup Options
Clean Note Markers: Fixes common note issues, which includes removing note character styles from white space. Runs on an entire document only.
Periods to Spaced Periods: Replaces three unspaced periods (plus additional surrounding punctuation) with periods separated by nonbreaking spaces.
Updated Cleanup Options
Dashes: Replaces double hyphens, spaced hyphens, and spaced en dashes with em dashes. Also replaces hyphens (spaced or unspaced) in number spans with en dashes. Dashes and hyphens in phone numbers, ISBNs, and text composed with the url or url-i character styles are preserved.
All Ellipsis Options: Improved ellipsis spacing handling around other punctuation.
Add Word to Capitalization Dictionary
Adds the selected word (as capitalized) to the capitalization dictionary of your choice.
Select a word with atypical title case capitalization. Right-click it to open the context menu. Click this option and choose the capitalization dictionary to which you want to add the word.
Splits the document at Word section breaks into one file per section. A number is appended to the end of each file name to indicate the order of the output files. The new documents are saved into the same folder where the source file is located.
Find Text Formatting
Identifies potentially problematic text formatting at the character level in source documents that are unlikely to be captured during a typical composition process. Selects the first piece of text after the current cursor location where problematic conditions are found:
- local formatting applied over non-ScML character styles
- atypical text features of Microsoft Word used to capture structural meaning
- font sizes that significantly differ from their paragraph and character styles
This tool is useful when vetting or composing files that have been OCRed, that have a large number of nondescript non-ScML character styles, or that have been modified extensively outside the rules of the WFDW. This tool may take a long time to run on large or complicated files and has limited compatability with Word for Mac.
New Note Options
Insert Chapter Breaks: Inserts Microsoft Word section breaks where each chapter should occur. Doing this makes it possible to renumber Word’s embedded endnotes and footnotes per chapter. This tool can also be used with the “Split Document” feature to output one file per book chapter.
Change Note Numbering Options: Loads Word’s “Footnote and Endnote” dialog box.