Composition Procedure: Pre-Hub Cleanups
Insert structure indicators.
Check for incorrect spaces and tab usage.
Review the results of.
Insert Structure Indicators
Insert structure indicators to identify sections that do not include part or chapter titles (such as front matter sections preceding the table of contents).
Insert structure indicators to group or separate complex structures as needed.
Structure indicators can be inserted using the SAI’sand buttons.
Structure indicators do not need to be inserted for elements that follow the default behaviors of paragraph groups.
For more information on Structure indicators, see Structure Indicators in Word.
Pre-Hub Checks and Cleanup
- Check multiple spaces and tabs for any intentional formatting and address as needed. Tabs used to format tabular data should be converted to tables.
- In the Cleanup menu, run .
- Review tabs in the document.
- The spacing after the number or bullet in list styles should be standardized as either a tab or a space.
- Tabs should not be used to create hanging indents or to indent the first lines of p paragraphs.
Run cleanup actions are not all recommended for every project. For example, in math and legal texts, it is often advisable to avoid dash cleanup. Additionally, some “errors” may need to be retained to match the source material or represent an intentional choice by the author.and review the results. Review the project specification, as the
Select from the following:
- / /
Next Step: Refine in the Hub and Further Review
- Return to the Word Composition Procedure.
- Go to Comp: Refine and Check.