Composition Procedure: Review and Refine in the Digital Hub
- Upload to the Digital Hub.
- If there are any mismatches in en/enref/ennum or fn/fnref/fnnum counts, do not refine the document. Review the file and resolve any issues. Use the alerts tab of the Note Manager to identify issues.
- There may be warnings about non-ScML or unstyled paragraphs in the document. The Refiner will compose these paragraphs as p, en, fn, or td depending on the location of the content.
- Warnings about hidden text, nested tables, or structure indicators should be addressed and resolved prior to Hub conversion to another file format.
- Warnings about endnotes in tables should be reviewed prior to conversion to IDTT.
- For further information about these warnings, see Digital Hub File Alerts.
- Convert to Refined MS Word document.
- Download and review the final file alongside the source.
Adjust Note Numbering and Add Note Heads
If required by the project specification, use theto add Word section breaks and/or change global note numbering settings.
- Open the tool.
- Select as required.
- Select to choose the set of markers to use throughout the document. Choose numbers, roman numerals, letters, or symbols.
- Change to or depending on whether the numbering should continue throughout the document or restart at each chapter.
- Change the of endnotes if required to insert these at the end of each section in the Word file.
- If the project requires a-heads in the note sections but does not yet include them, select
- If there are a-heads in the notes section that should be removed before generating new ones, select .
- Choose the number format for heads to take when a chapter contains both a chapter number and a chapter title.
- Select if the notes are to renumber by section or if adding heads to the document.
- Confirm that all sections received the correct a-head, if they were added.
Final Review and File Check
- Upload the .docx file to the Digital Hub again. Check the following for possible issues:
- View the Alerts and Updates tab. Possible errors introduced during conversion will be listed here.
- Under the Files tab, note the circle under Checks. Unless it is green, click it to see warnings (yellow or blue) or errors (red).
- Under the Files tab, check Stats for errors, including the following:
- combining Unicode characters in use
- missing or duplicated structure indicators
- inconsistent/misnumbered figure callouts
- inappropriate typesetting spaces and hyphens
- Resolve any issues that can be fixed in the Word file.
- Convert the .docx to .sam in the Digital Hub and run the text checks listed in the Composition QC Checklist.
- Page through the .docx file to confirm the project has been correctly and completely composed.
Next Step: Composition QC
It is recommended (and it is Scribe‘s policy) that files of any type are reviewed by another experienced person. To support consistency across projects and to provide an opportunity to view a file with a “fresh pair of eyes,” check your file for all aspects of WFDW compliance and the specific needs of the project.